Meltzer and Bell, PA remains committed to the people of South Florida during this very difficult time. Please know that we are open and will remain so 24 hours a day, seven days a week to those in our community who need our help.
Request Your Consultation

All fields are required.

Modification of Child Custody

For many parents who are co-parenting, child custody may be a top concern.  Your child means a lot to you, and it is common to be concerned about who will have primary custody of a child.

Depending on the circumstances in your particular situation, you may have received a custody agreement that you do not think is fair or perhaps things changed that require a modification of this agreement.

Often, situations are made more complex when disagreements between parents arise.

Therefore it is important to speak with a child custody lawyer as soon as possible.  The court can modify a child support order if the judge finds that there has been a substantial change in the circumstances of the parties and that the change would be in the best interest of the child.

Any party affected by a child custody order may move to modify it at any time. Common reasons parents seek to modify child custody agreements may include the following:

  • changes in income
  • changes in parenting time
  • changes in expenses
  • the loss of a job

Child Custody Modification Lawyer in Florida

If you are concerned that the best interests of your child are being slighted, contact Quality Family Law at (561) 557-8686 today. Our attorneys can speak with you about your legal rights when it comes to modifying a child custody order and can work with you and your family.

We serve clients in West Palm Beach, North Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Jupiter, Wellington, Delray Beach, Lake Worth, Palm Springs, and Boynton Beach, Florida.

The lawyers of Quality Family Law understand how important your children are to you and always go the extra mile to work towards a positive resolution for you and your family.

What Are the Steps in a modification of custody?

In Florida, there are certain things a person seeking a modification of custody must do in order to modify an existing agreement including the following:

  • file a motion to modify an existing agreement
  • service of Summons
  • completion of a parent education program
  • mediation
  • discovery
  • pre-trial hearing
  • trial
  • entry of judgment

Modifying A Parenting Plan

If  parents are not in agreement about modifications to an existing agreement the matter is referred to as “contested.” In this case, the court will require the parent requesting the change to present evidence necessary to prove that the change is in the child’s best interest. The responding party may also present evidence to prove that the agreement does not need to be modified.

If at any time the parents agree and settle the terms of modification without the court it will not have to go to trial. Mediation is available as an alternative to trial. It is favorable, in most cases, because it allows the parties to settle their disputes in a less adversarial manner. It is always better to explore opportunities to resolve contested issues before it goes to trial.

Back to top

Child Custody Modification Additional Resources

Modify Child Support Hearing Checklist: Visit the website of Florida court’s to view a checklist that can be helpful when trying to modify child support in the state.

Back to top

Palm Beach County Child Custody Lawyer

If you want to modify your current child custody or visitation agreement in West Palm Beach, Florida or surrounding areas, contact the attorneys of Quality Family Law.Our lawyers are very compassionate about your family law matters and want to help you get the best possible agreement.

Call Quality Family Law at (561) 557-8686 today for a confidential consultation.

This page was last updated March 14, 2017

Request Your Consultation

All fields are required.

Both Partners are Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated in Legal Ability & Ethical Standards.

Super Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers
American Institute of Family Law Attorneys - Top 10 2015

If you have been charged with a Misdemeanor or Felony, State or Federal, please visit our main Criminal Defense Department.

Criminal Defense Department